Interested in making a light yet different dinner? Try out my oil free Caesar salad. While roughly based on the traditional Caesar salad, my salad has no oil and there’s no fish! I went with romaine lettuce, but this should work just as well with other lettuces or more tender kales. Chickpeas add protein and can be baked to provide a little crunch similar to croutons. The perfect weeknight meal.
Yield: 4 Side Servings or 2 Dinner Servings
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- optional – croutons
- Prepare the dressing by mashing the avocado in a small mixing bowl. Squeeze in about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and add 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Mash together the ingredients with the back of a fork until they come together. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped lettuce and chickpeas to the mixing bowl. Toss to incorporate.
- Using the slicing slot of a box grater or a vegetable peeler, shave off some thin strips of Parmesan. Sprinkle over your bowl and you are ready to eat! Top with torn croutons if you’re feeling indulgent.
*Note: If you didn’t get enough avocado, you can always whisk in olive oil to get the consistency right.